Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Freezer Meals

This weekend I made a few things to freeze for when Cooper gets here.

I'm not planning on making a bunch of meals because 1) We don't have the freezer space and 2) Most of the meals we make are pretty quick and easy so I feel like we can make do on just having a few meals ready.

The first thing I made was the start of cheeseburger meatloaf. I'm honestly not sure where I got this recipe from...back in high school, I took a cooking class and I have a box of recipes from that class...this is one of the recipes.

The preparation for this meal was super easy.

I mixed 1 lb of hamburger and 10 saltine crackers (crushed) and put in an aluminum loaf pan.






I made a cover for the pan with the name of what is inside and the cooking directions.


You'll see on the lid it said "Add cheese/ketchup". There really is no set amount for either ingredient. I use enough ketchup to cover the top of the meatloaf and I put shredded cheese on top and bake for another 10 minutes. Super super easy and pretty much any side item works with this meal.

The next thing I did was bought a couple packages of chicken and grilled them on our Foreman. I separated them into portions.



I use shredded chicken a lot. I use it in macaroni and cheese for a more substantial meal. I mix it with cream cheese and shredded cheese and put that mixture in crescent rolls. You name it. This is a huge staple in our house, so I figured, why not go ahead and make enough for four meals. It took all of fifteen minutes to grill and shred the chicken and put them into baggies.

As far as what's up next I don't plan on freezing more meals, but I do, however, plan on making sure we have meals that are easy to throw together, such as hamburger patties, meatballs for spaghetti, steaks that can be thrown on the Foreman, and easy side items-such as biscuits, mac and cheese, and potatoes. You can throw together twice baked potatoes pretty quickly. For that reason, I'm considering possibly freezing mashed potatoes. Jon is pretty particular about mashed potatoes, so I'm not sure he'll go for frozen ones. But we'll see. 

I know some people make a bunch of freezer meals but I just don't see that being that beneficial for us. 

I'm keeping this post pretty short and sweet but it's been a crazy week already and it's only Tuesday. I have a pitch in with the girls at work tomorrow night that I still need to make cookies to bring. :)

Stay tuned for the 31 (WHAT?!) week bump update tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Such a good idea to plan ahead!! Yum to the saltine crackers added - that sounds awesome!! Happy 31 wks - can't wait for your update!! Only nine away. :)
Hope you have a restful night!
Xoxox
Maria

Courtney B said...

I've been doing the same thing!! I shredded a whole bag of chicken from costco just so that I won't have to worry about cooking meat for awhile after baby! I've also frozen lasagna and sweet and sour meatballs and burritos!