Monday, October 8, 2012

Grocery Shopping

I posted awhile back about our grocery shopping ways...but I must say, they have changed a bit...for the better.

Grocery shopping and I had a hate relationship with one another during my first trimester. Now we're back to our old ways!

For me, I can't just get up and go. I have to have a list. A year ago or so, I'd make the list and follow it..yet still come home with a trunk load full of stuff and ended up throwing half of it out a couple months down the road. 

So, I started couponing...not extreme couponing or anything crazy. I just signed up for the rewards program at the store in town and started buying the Sunday Indianapolis Star. 

I also started looking at ads before I went to the store. I always try to pick up a hard copy at the store when they come out on Wednesday or if I can, I'll snag one from the paper at work so I have it. From there, I'll start planning my trip.

I make a meal plan, too. A plan is set in stone (ish) for dinner only, but I make sure we have options for breakfast and lunch...as well as snacks.

Below is a picture of my grocery shopping tools:



Grocery ad, white board for menu, coupon organizer, note pad
I'm missing one important tool in this picture...the lap top. I use the computer for meal planning, mainly...thanks to Pinterest! I also have a recipe box I bust out, too. If I use a card from the card box I'll pull it out and set it aside for my next step. I try to cook at least one new meal a week...if I don't find a new meal to try, I'll at least try for a new side.

I start with a scratch piece of paper and start jotting down ideas for dinner. Then I'll rearrange as I need to-making sure I don't have one meat twice in a row, etc. Once I nail it down, I'll write down the plan on the white board that goes back on the fridge.

From here, I start making my list. The first thing I do is jot down things from the meal plan I will need. This is where pulling the recipe cards out comes into play. After that, I go through the fridge, freezer, and pantry and jot down any staples we are running low on/out of. (Usually if I run out of something, I write it down ASAP.) Then I go through the ad to see if there are things on sale that we would use. Finally, I go through my coupons-pulling out any that I can use for the list. I also go through and make sure I don't have any expiring. If I do, I'll try to use those but if we don't need it-I don't just spend the money to save a few bucks. Make sense?


Grocery list-I mark items that I have a coupon for with a dot. If an item is on sale, I mark the sale on the list as well. Example: Chips were 2 for $5 this week.
I make sure to keep the ad with me in case I need to do any last minute changing/investigating. I also bring my coupon organizer and of course, my list.


Thanks to my list making, depending on crowds, I can get in and out of the grocery store in 30-45 minutes. I know my way around the store that I can look on my list and make sure I have everything from one side of the store before I venture to the other side.


The loot for the week-and a Reggie photo bomb.
30-45 minutes later I come away with this:

27% savings? I'll take it!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sounds like a great plan to save a little money! I'm still going through a hate relationship with grocery shopping right now. Haha!