Sunday, November 13, 2011

God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy.

Two years ago my life changed forever.

I was so excited to go to the Luke Bryan concert. I had VIP passes to meet him. I was STOKED!

I happened to look at my phone about 10 minutes before I was supposed to line up to meet him. I had 10 missed calls. And a text message from my friend Cort: "Kar...call me. Something's wrong. It's about Troy."

I went to the bathroom to call her. My phone went off as I was dialing her number. It was one of my guy friends. I answered and heard nothing but crying. I kept asking what's wrong? What's wrong?

Then I heard it, "Kar...Troy was in an accident. He didn't make it."

I hung up. I didn't say anything...I just hung up.

I called Troy's number. Straight to voicemail-so I left one. Two minutes later, I leave another one. And another one. And another one.

At this point, I have about 15 text messages. Finally, I call one of my guy friends who is a cop in our town. He answered the phone by saying,"Kar.....I can't believe this."

It finally hit me. This was really happening. One of my boys...MY BOYS...was gone.

I spent the next 45 minutes in the bathroom returning phone calls and text messages and crying. Then it hit me. Shit. Jon was still outside waiting for me to come back. He had left his phone in the car. He had no idea.

I mustered up enough courage to walk out-eyes puffy and blood shot. Music was playing over the speakers...Billy Currington's "People are Crazy" was playing.

Jon looks at me and says,"Babe...what's wrong?" I tried to tell him. But it ended up sounding like some sort of weird broken English.

We decided...Jon decided really to stay at the concert. The last time we saw Troy was just a few days before. I kept telling him about the concert and he said,"Tell Luke I said hi for me!"

I can't tell you much of the concert. I have a picture of me meeting Luke but I don't remember what I said to him or what he said to me.

I cried the whole way home.

The next two days I was a mess. I slept the entire two days. I ignored phone calls and text messages. I just didn't want to talk to anyone.

Monday came and I went to work. I was only working three hours...then I was meeting my friend Paul to go to the showing. I cried a lot that day at work. I work in a small town-the same town I grew up in...every one knew.

At 11:00 I got up to leave and someone said,"Kari...someone's here to see you."
"I don't care...I'm going home."
"I think you care..."

I looked over. It was Cort. She drove home from North Carolina. I cried. A lot. Just hugged her and cried.

We went to the showing with Paul and a few other guys. We walked in..."People are Crazy" started playing. Let the tears flow.

I drank my weight in alcohol that night. Stupid, yeah. But I didn't care.

The next day was the funeral. They played that song again. More tears.

For months, every time I heard that song I cried.

This summer, Jon and I went to see Kenny Chesney. Billy Currington opened for him. He played the last song...People are Crazy. I cried so hard.

I still have days where it hurts. I miss him every day. I miss going into the bars and hearing,"KKKKKKKKKARRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!" That song gives me so much comfort now...if I'm having a bad day--hearing that song makes me smile. :)

Two years ago, my life changed forever. But I'm a better person for knowing Troy. We went a year without talking which I will always regret...but I know that at the end of the day, he was my friend, my brother, and the best damn basketball player I know! ;)

Miss you,TAH! Love you, bud!


"We all have a song that's somehow stamped our lives. It takes us to another place in time....I go back to the loss of a real good friend and the 16 summers of sharing with him. Now 'Only the Good Die Young' stops me in my tracks."


<3 13 <3

1 comment:

Megan said...

Wow, this made me tear up! What a horrible tragedy, but I'm so glad that you can remember what y'all had and relish it!!